13.8.09

Roots Hold Me Close

More and more I want to work only with recycled and re-purposed stuff. More and more I want the work to have real content. My commercial work always carries a message, so why wouldn't my art? I'm posting a collage I did at the beginning of the year, a piece entitled, "Roots Hold Me Close, Wings Set Me Free," a line from a Unitarian Universalist hymn.

I entered this piece in a local show, "Art from the Heart." It received no mention. : ) Doesn't matter. Well, maybe a little. I'm still very pleased with it. Got bottle caps as well---the moon and stars and Junkanoo wings, too.

During this same time, I got on a genealogy kick. For days I worked on nothing else. Loved it. Found photos online of ancestors whose names I had known but names with no faces or bodies. It felt very cool. Art-wise, I like to work on pieces the same way other people journal. People, places and things that touch me or feel significant to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home